Team Leader and Contact:
Department of Children's Services
Physical & Medical Team
Margaret McMillan Tower, Floor 3
Tel: 01274 439500
Physical Needs Team
The team consists of specialist teachers who provide a service for children and their parents in mainstream schools and settings, including the home.
We support children with a range of physical needs and medical conditions within the age range birth to 25 years in accordance with the
Matrix of Need for Bradford.
Children are referred via the form below or through notification from health professionals via an EA1 Form.
Children/ Students may have difficulties in the following areas:
- Specific physical and medical conditions.
- Accessing the curriculum because of constraints of physical disability.
- Movement around school.
- Fine motor skills (handwriting, pencil control, and scissor skills).
- Gross motor skills (P.E. and co-ordination).
- Self-help skills (continence issues, dressing etc).
Range of Service
We give advice on the following:
- Transition across school phases and between settings
- Range of facilities and accessibility of different schools.
- Specialist and adapted equipment.
- Making buildings and the curriculum accessible.
- Pupil specific resources for IT.
- On meeting manual handling needs of pupils.
- Loan of specialist equipment.
- Ensure appropriate facilities and / or programmes are in place to meet the physical / medical needs of the child in conjunction with health professionals.
- Ensure a personal care policy / medical care plan is in place if necessary.
- Contribute to statutory assessment procedures.
- Attend and contribute to Annual Review.
- Advise on differentiation, teaching strategies and resources.
- Contribute to short term targets.
- Liaise with outside agencies, parents and school staff.
- Accompany parents on school visits.
- Manual handling training for staff
“Our vision is to provide high quality support for all Bradford children and young people using a collaborative approach through transformational learning experiences so that they can flourish and make excellent holistic progress and successfully transition
to responsible citizens”
The form for referring children can be found here
Referral Form. Our 30 minute Hub sessions are also available to book via the
Skills4bradford Website .
Before subitting a referral please take a look at our advice sheets and information below.
Would you like to find out how your school or early years setting could work towards achieving Bradford's Physical Friendly Setting Award? See the information below and contact the team to express your interest.
School Advice Sheets
Transition to Secondary School Advice Sheet
Clicker in the Classroom
Supporting Fine and Gross Motor Skills to develop Handwriting
Supporting Students who have Difficulties Recording their own Work- SENDCO Advice
What Can I do if it is Difficult to Record My Work?- Student Advice
Touch Typing Tips
Self help and independence skills
Wheelchair Handling Guidance
Daily Living Skills Advice Sheet
Daily Living Skills Checklist
Intimate Care Guidance
Guidance for nappy or pad changing
Risk assessments and P.E.E.Ps
Risk Assessments for students with Physical & Medical Needs
Writing a PEEP: Toolkit for mainstream settings
Top Tips for Writing a PEEP
Information about conditions
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
What is Hemiplegia?
Transition for children with physical needs- PowerPoint Presentation
Apps for Handwriting and Fine Motor at home
Helping handwriting at home - document
Helping handwriting at home - PowerPoint Presentation
Fine motor activities to help handwriting at home
Videos for fine motor activities at home (Large file may take a short time to open)
Videos for hand warm up exercises (Large file may take a short time to open)
Touch Typing at home
Clicker 8 at home
Gross motor activities to help handwriting at home
Youth Sports Trust P.E. at Home ideas
Links to more Resources and Information
Pdnet: a network for those supporting learners with physical difficulties containing a wealth of resources, forums covering a wide range of topics and online training.
Changing places- accessible toileting facilities across the U.K.: http://www.changing-places.org/
Epilepsy Action Charity: factshets and online training https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/
Muscular Dystrophy UK Charity: http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/
Spinal Muscular Atrophy Support http://www.smasupportuk.org.uk/
Backup Trust : Spinal Cord Injury Information http://www.backuptrust.org.uk/home
Headway The Brain Injury Association https://www.headway.org.uk/
Levi Star Supporting Children with Brain Tumors http://www.levisstar.co.uk/
SCOPE Disability Equality Charity https://www.scope.org.uk/
Cerebral Palsy Sport- information about frame football, boccia, cricket and wheelchair basketball http://www.cpsport.org/
N.Q.T. Condition specific videos
Shine Charity Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus information for schools: https://www.shinecharity.org.uk/for-professionals/for-professionals
Mixed Ability Sport in Bradford
Brittle Bones Society Charity information for schools
Dyspraxia Foundation information for schools
Nerve Tumours UK Charity https://nervetumours.org.uk
Reach Charity: Supporting children affected by upper limb difference
Restricted Growth Association UK:
Local Offer Bradford