Available to every primary school in England and Wales, it inspires girls and boys aged 5-11 in the classroom, the playground and on the sports field. Teaching materials cover subjects from English and Maths to teamwork and PE, with free to download activity
ideas, worksheets, lesson plans, fun assemblies and exclusive videos.
Learning is connected to the real world of sport to enthuse pupils when tackling challenging PSHE topics such as resilience, diversity, self-esteem and fair-play.
Bradford City Community Foundation's professional staff work with teachers to deliver fun, educational sessions in a range of subjects within local partner schools.
Programmes available to book now are as follows:
Physical Education PE
- KS1/KS2 Full Class
- 1 Hour lesson x 12 blocks
- Total cost: £360
Fun and engaging PE activities to help pupils develop their skills in:
- balance and coordination
- throwing skills
- invasion games
Blocks of six to twelve weeks which include pupil tracking and teacher mentoring.
Reading Stars Literacy program
- Years 5/6
- Total cost: £300
- 10 Lessons x 1 hour each, maximum 12 Pupils
What are the literacy problem facing primary schools?
- 1 child in 5 leaves primary school unable to read well
- This rises to 1 in 3 among disadvantaged children
Is Reading Stars effective?
- 3 out of 4 pupils make at least 6 months’ progress in reading in just 10-weeks
- 1 in 3 makes a year’s progress or more
- The number of children who say they enjoy reading ‘very much’ almost doubles
- 7 out of 10 pupils say they are now proud to be readers
From the 2015/16 Coventry University report on Premier League Reading Stars: “children who received PLRS via a Premier League Club made significantly greater gains (than via ‘a standard’ school setting) in standardized reading scores compared to the control
Learning Outcomes covered include
Pupils will be able to:
- Begin to understand the purpose of reading
- Engage in a range of fiction and non-fiction texts
- Identify the difference between skimming and scanning information
- Select the most appropriate book to read using a range of tools
- Read and discuss a range of fiction texts
- Begin to understand three skills needed for comprehension: questioning, clarifying and predicting.
- Listen to others effectively and participate in group discussion about a text
- Ask questions about the text and think critically about the content
- Understand the difference between a fact and opinion and be able to identify them in text
- Use technology safely, respectfully and responsibly
- Begin to infer characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives in a text
- Read and review a range of poetry
- Perform a poem, using voice, actions and motifs to demonstrate meaning
- Year 3/4
- Total cost: £180
- 6 Lessons, 1 hour each. Maximum of 8 Pupils
Working with pupils that our reluctant readers; look at how to make reading more enjoyable; read to teddy bears; how we choose the correct book; visit Waterstones in Bradford to buy a book for themselves.
For more information, contact:
Bradford City FC Community Foundation
NOTE - THE ABOVE PROGRAMMES ARE NOT ENDORSED BY BRADFORD COUNCIL'S CHILDREN'S SERVICES AS WE CANNNOT GUARANTEE THE QUALITY OR CONTENT OF THE COURSE.