This course helps school staff to prepare for such events, with research based evidence about appropriate and effective practical steps to respond to the needs of
pupils, parents and staff.
The course also considers the possible psychological impact of loss and bereavement on children and young people, and how to identify, understand and respond to their needs.
Intended outcomes for learners:
A robust school policy means learners will have appropriate support from confident and knowledgeable staff following bereavement or a critical incident.
Intended outcomes for participants:
- Staff will be confident in responding to the needs of learners and staff following a critical incident or bereavement
- Staff will be able to implement a robust school policy
Content of the course:
- A case study of a critical incident – do’s and don’ts in school
- Practical steps in a critical incident policy
- Practical steps following bereavement in the school community
- Research focus: The nature and effects of grieving
- Research focus: Understanding and recognising post traumatic stress disorder
To apply, please complete the standard course application form and return to the Courses Desk in the usual way.
Course No: Q1015P/01
Date: 23.09.15 (09.00-12.00)
Cost: £90 per person
Venue: Future House
Tutor: Philippa Grace (Educational Psychology Team)