ME, my body, my friends, my life: How to teach children & young people with Down syndrome about their bodies, keeping safe, privacy, social boundaries and self help skills.
This course is over 2 full days Friday 15th & 22nd November 2019, 9.30am to 4pm
The course will cover:
· How important such training is for young people with learning disabilities. Names for body parts. Privacy.
· Puberty for girls, puberty for boys,
· Feelings, personal hygiene, self help skills.
· Touching, hugging, affection, friendships.
· Safety in the community. Assertiveness. Abuse prevention strategies. How do we become our own protector?
The signs for this topic are also covered and available in a book —SRE and Down syndrome cost £6.00.
A Memory stick of
resources & activities is available to buy at a cost of £10.00.
COST: Subsidised fees £60 per professional (£30 for a second professional from the same organisation)/ FREE for parents. This includes a folder of handouts .
Refreshments provided but please bring own lunch. If cost is prohibitive you are welcome to attend but please consider organising a fundraising event for us, thank you
· Very good for all people working with young people with learning difficulties
· I’m now much more confident to tackle the subject.
· Enjoyed meeting other people and being able to talk openly about issues and facts of life
· It’s given me the confidence to talk about the changes my child will go through and most of all helped me to prepare and be aware of what is to come.
· Understand now the importance of starting this work in primary schools and practical ways of doing this.