My name is James Procter and I am Assistant Maths Hub Lead (Bradford) for the DfE-funded West Yorkshire Maths Hub.
The WYMaths Hub supports Leeds, Bradford and Calderdale schools on their journey to teach for mastery in maths by running a number of Workgroups.
The National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) have devised and honed a collaborative professional development model called a workgroup. Workgroups have the following key characteristics:
- Groups are run by teachers and for teachers to enable practice to be developed shared and embedded.
- Activities include workshops, gap tasks, and ongoing reflection and evaluation.
- Workgroup leads attend national meetings hosted by NCETM.
- Groups make use of NCETM forums for communication.
The Workgroups are DfE funded so membership and participation is free.
We are currently recruiting for this year’s workgroups and are very keen for Bradford secondary schools to participate to support their maths development.
The following workgroups have been funded for this year:
- Y5-Y8 Continuity - Progression of concepts across key stages through shared representations and language
- Mathematical Thinking for GCSE - Use of pedagogic strategies to promote problem-solving, reasoning and proof.
- Developing A Level teaching - The development of pedagogic strategies that promote deeper conceptual understanding and connections across mathematics.
This is a great opportunity for you and your school to take advantage of this DfE-funded, free to schools, high quality development programme which will hugely support your school’s ‘mastery journey’.
‘Expression of Interest’ can be logged through the West Yorkshire Maths Hub website - wymathshub.co.uk/projects/ or by emailing email@example.com. Or
if you would like to discuss this further face to face or by phone, please contact James Procter at :firstname.lastname@example.org