Tuesday 5th March; Tuesday 30th April; Wednesday 19th June.
Based on the EEF’s Improving Secondary Science guidance report, this three day course focuses on seven areas where the evidence is strongest about how to enhance the teaching of science at secondary.
The recommendations of the guidance report we will explore are:
- Preconceptions: build on the ideas that pupils bring to lessons
- Self-regulation: Help pupils direct their own learning
- Modelling: Use models to support understanding
- Memory: Support pupils to retain and retrieve knowledge
- Practical Work: Use practical work purposefully and as part of a learning sequence
- Language of Science: Develop scientific vocabulary and support pupils to read and write about science
- Feedback: Use structured feedback to move on pupils’ thinking
This course will be particularly useful for current and aspiring subject leaders, but the principles will apply for all teachers of Science
The course costs £295 for all three days and will be held at Dixons Cottingley Academy. Schools can send an additional delegate for £75.