Training for School Governors - A new format for the Governor Training Programme
The new edition of the School Governor Service Governor Training Programme enables governors to clearly plan their training and to identify those dates, times and venues that will be the most convenient for them. It also gives governors the opportunity
to attend some sessions during the day or as twilights to assist those who are unable to attend evening sessions.
The purpose of this programme is support governors in the effective strategic management of all schools and academies, to enable the best possible educational outcomes for children across the district and improve further education and job prospects for them.
Governors need to be able to:-
- fulfill their strategic planning role in the school
- understand and effectively undertake their accountability role
- act as a critical friend to the management of the school
- develop appropriate skills and knowledge to effectively monitor school improvement
- work with school managers, staff, parents, the local community and, where appropriate, the diocesan authorities, Academy Trust Boards and other partnerships.
The programme offers a wide range of opportunities intended to broaden governors’ knowledge, develop their skills and update them on specific responsibilities. Governor feedback and developments in education continue to inform the sessions provided. Governors
in Bradford contribute to the programme and support our promise to deliver a high quality service provided by experienced professionals to meet the needs of individual governors and governing boards.
Bespoke courses for Governing Boards or Groups of Schools/Academies
- Learning Together – A tailor-made course delivered at a time, date and venue to suit you, for a group of schools or individual governing board. For example: if your governing board is planning an away day you may think external
facilitation of part or all the event would be helpful.
- Leading Together - Designed to strengthen the capacity of the leadership and management partnership to work together for the benefit of pupils, this course involves three facilitated sessions for a working party of senior
leaders and governors. Plans to improve teamwork are identified by the working party using a school improvement priority as a vehicle for improvement.
The programme takes place over a period of nine to twelve months, giving time for improvements to take place and for the actions taken to have an impact on the school’s development.
- Mini Course - One hour on the agenda of your governing board meeting; these courses are intended to address individual governance areas which have been identified as requiring improvement.
Following the link below to access the Summer 2017 programme of training. For more information please contact the School Governor Service on 01274 439400 or e-mail
E-learning Opportunities with Modern Governor
Governing bodies have expressed a keen interest in e-learning opportunities. In response, we have negotiated a very competitive agreement with Modern Governor, the market leader in the field. Governing bodies that purchase the ‘Governing Schools’ all-inclusive
subscription can access the Modern Governor e-learning modules for an additional annual fee of £115 for 2016/2017 that allows access to all e-learning modules for all members of the governing board.
What is Modern Governor?
The modules cover a wide range of topics in an interesting and interactive way in approximately twenty minute 'chunks' that governors can follow at their convenience. Each module can be revisited at any time as a refresher or point of reference.
E-learning Module Content
There are currently 24 e-learning modules in the Modern Governor catalogue. Further details can be found at
Want to see a module for free?
Use the link below to access the ‘Becoming a School Governor’ module:
How to subscribe
Contact School Governor Service on 01274 439400 or e-mail
Page owned by Linda Townsend, last updated on 17/05/2017. This page has been viewed 12,140 times.