Welcome to the Portage Team's page, we hope it provides a clear overview of our work and any information you are looking for.
Bradford Portage is a registered service with the
National Portage Association www.portage.org.uk
Portage is a home visiting educational service for pre-school aged children with additional support needs and their families. Alongside Portage Home Visiting we also run a number of Portage Education Groups around the Bradford District.
The Portage Team have an open referral system via a Portage Enquiry Form for parents, carers and professionals.
The Team provides a service to children and their parents/carers, including:
- Partnership working with parents and carers
- Information and support to parents and carers
- Portage regular home visits following the Portage Early Education model through play based activities
- Liaison and joint working with other agencies involved with the child
- Training and support for individuals and for groups of staff including delivery of the Portage Workshop: A Small Steps Approach to learning for Children with Special Eductional Needs and Disabilities.
- Support for transitions into settings, nurseries, schools
- Advice, information, completing DLA and/or loans of specialist resources
- Social activities for children and their parents and carers.
Bradford Portage offer:
- Children aged 0 – 2 can receive Portage at home or in an education group.
- Children aged 2 - 3 can receive Portage at home or in an education group if not accessing their early education place. Children who are accessing early education can receive up to 6 Portage sessions. Due to current wait times, children aged under 33 months at
point of referral will be placed on the waiting list for home visits.
- Children aged 3 – 5 can receive up to 8 sessions in a Portage education group. Due to current wait times, children aged over 33 months at point of referral will be placed on the group waiting list.
Portage works flexibly to meet the needs of children and families, if there is a medical reason a child cannot access their early education place aged 3+ we may be able to offer Portage home visits.
Bradford Portage Service
Margaret McMillan Tower
Tel: 01274 439500
Portage Team Manager: Janine Wood
Portage Home Visitors: Kerry Cawley, Wakhida Akhtar, Erum Iqbal, Lisa Haley, Lucy Rowley, Suzanne Palmer, Charlene Hamilton, Christine Browne, Lucy Collins, Sarah Jamieson