Welcome to the Portage Team's page, we hope it provides a clear overview of our work and any information you are looking for.
Bradford Portage is a registered service with the
National Portage Association www.portage.org.uk
Portage is an educational service for pre-school aged children with additional support needs and their families.
The Team provides a service to children and their parents/carers, including:
- Partnership working with parents and carers
- Information and support to parents and carers
- Portage home visits following the Portage Early Education model through play based activities
- Liaison and joint working with other agencies involved with the child
- Training and support for individuals and for groups of staff including delivery of the Portage Workshop: A Small Steps Approach to learning for Children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
- Support for transitions into settings, nurseries, schools
- Advice, information and signposting on benefits, services and charities.
- Social activities for children and their parents and carers.
Bradford Portage referral criteria:
A six month developmental delay in two areas of learning from the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Areas of learning: Communication. Personal, social and emotional development. Cognition (thinking). Physical development.
Anyone can refer to Portage using the
Portage referral form. Following referral families will receive a welcome letter and be placed on the waiting list. Once they reach the top of the waiting list, the family will be contacted by a member of the Portage team.
Bradford Portage offer:
Portage works flexibly to meet the needs of children and families. The offer is subject to change.
Our core offer is:
Children aged 0-5 who are not accessing free childcare can receive up 12 Portage Home Visits.
Children aged 0-5 who are accessing 15 hours free childcare will be offered a place at a Portage Group for up to 8 sessions.
Portage is not available to children who are accessing 30 hours free childcare.
A re-referral may be considered if further support is required.
Bradford Portage Service
Margaret McMillan Tower
Tel: 01274 439444
Team Manager: Janine Wood
Portage Home Visitors: Kerry Halkett, Wakhida Akhtar, Erum Iqbal, Lisa Haley, Lucy Rowley, Suzanne Palmer, Charlene Hamilton, Christine Browne, Lucy Collins, Jeannine Balson, Francesca Finch, Paula Chapman