Success@Arithmetic helps pupils working at level 3c or 3b to move towards Level 4.
Success@Arithmetic aims to build learners’ confidence in calculation. Teaching Assistants help them to think and talk about their calculation methods and strategies. They adapt the activities so that the learners are challenged and can succeed. In trials
pupils in Years 4 to 6 gained 15 months in their number age during the 24 lessons. Schools will need to consider how they will ensure that teachers and Teaching Assistants have appropriate time to liaise and prepare and plan for the intervention.
Intended outcomes for participants:
A high quality training programme for Lead Teachers and Teaching Assistants ensures that schools will achieve the maximum impact from Success@Arithmetic. It helps participants to:
- gain a deep understanding of how the intervention works
- understand how to deliver the ‘Success@Arithmetic steps’ to children who are struggling with calculation
- build up their understanding of calculation
- make the intervention sessions ‘come alive’ for learners
- Liaise with the children’s class teachers to secure their progress during and after the intervention.
Initially the Lead Teachers are given a half day of training to help them make a detailed assessment of each child’s needs. This is followed by two days of training for the Lead Teacher and Teaching Assistants together.
- ½ Day Lead Teachers Only:
- Diagnostic assessment training
- Day 1 Lead Teacher and Teaching Assistant:
- the structure of the programme, identifying learning pathways and implementing the steps to success, Calculation methods and strategies
- Reviewing the implementation, identifying learning pathways in later topics and implementing the steps to success, Calculation methods and strategies.
- Day 2 Lead Teacher and Teaching Assistant:
Content of the course:
Each training and support package includes:
- 2 ½ days of local group training for Lead Teachers and 2 days training for Teaching Assistants
- a ready-made resource pack to help Teaching Assistants get started
- online guidance and downloadable resources
- telephone and e-mail support
- Detailed analyses of children’s progress to help schools to evaluate impact.
Any course follow up:
Further Mathematics, Every Child Counts and Numicon CPD to build on this course or provide mathematical development sessions can be provided for individual schools, school partnerships, families of schools, or departments by arrangement with the consultant.
Please contact Sue Sutcliffe directly on
email@example.com or by phone: 07582 109 318