We’re Care Home Friends and Neighbours: Intergenerational Linking – the biggest intergenerational project with care homes in England. Over the past 2 years, we’ve been
supporting young people aged 5-14 from schools and youth groups to connect with older people living in care homes across 11 different areas of England.
Our project has created some amazing connections and so many stories of joy.
Inspired by this, we’re taking one step further. We want to give more children across the UK the opportunity to engage in intergenerational social action with care homes. And so the “Become a Care Home Friend” Challenge was born!
- Sign up here (https://myhomelife.org.uk/community-engagement/intergenerational-linking/care-home-friend-challenge/) and each week we’ll email you a worksheet filled with fun activities that takes children on an exciting intergenerational journey. Each
week will cover a new theme with a bit of information about the topic and different activities to try.
- These activities can be completed in class or youth group session, as a homework activity, or as an individual activity supported by a parent/guardian. There will be different versions suitable for Key Stages 1, 2 & 3.
- The activities have been designed by teachers working on our wider Care Home FaNs: Intergenerational Linking project and have curriculum links. You
can download an overview here. Notes to Leaders will also be available to support adults, e.g. with lesson planning.
- We hope everyone enjoys taking part and encourage you to share photos and updates with us!
- At the end, participants will receive a Care Home Friend certificate. If interested, we can also provide further support in sustaining the connection made with your local care home.
- We’d love you to tell others about this Challenge! Here is a flyer you can download and share.