Fund ID: S38974
Status: Open for Applications
Grants of up to £600 available to support and enable schools and organisations to run CREST Awards with young people underrepresented in STEM.
Funding body: British Science Association
Maximum value: £ 600
The CREST Awards scheme was established in 1990. Since then, over 300,000 young people have taken the CREST journey. Over 32,000 young people across Britain achieved a CREST Award in 2014.
The Awards are provided by the British Science Association.
Objectives of Fund
The awards enable students (aged 5-19 years) to engage in a STEM-related project; encourgaging links with industry and academia.
They are extremely flexible; are designed to enrich the curriculum and can be completed in class time, especially at Bronze level. They can also link into work experience placements, after-school/lunchtime clubs or various linked schemes.
If registration and support costs are a barrier to running CREST, grants of up to £600 are now available to support and enable schools and organisations to run CREST Awards with young people underrepresented in STEM.
Applicants can request up to £600 total towards running CREST awards, this breaks down into two categories:
- Up to £300 to cover CREST registration fees
- Up to £300 to spend on support costs for running the Awards, such as CPD for school staff, supply teacher cover, CREST link schemes or a delivery partner, consumables or equipment.
Who Can Apply
The scheme is open to UK schools running a CREST Award.
Award(s) must be completed by 31 July 2022.
Schools must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Is in England or Wales and has over 30% of pupils eligible for pupil premium or free school meals
- Is in Scotland, in areas in the top 30% most deprived according to the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation
- Is in Northern Ireland, in areas in the top 30% most deprived according to the Northern Ireland Multiple Deprivation Measures
- Have over 30% of pupils from ethnic minority backgrounds
- Be a small school based in a remote and rural location with a RURAL postcode.
Fee paying schools and selective schools are not eligible for this grant.
Grant money cannot be spent on salary costs, and costs that are already covered by other funding.
Costs associated with running a CREST Award. These could be consumables, equipment, field trips, speakers or other costs of activities.
Grants can be used for supply costs and CPD directly linked to the CREST Awards project.
UK & Northern Ireland
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted by the deadline.
Application forms can be found on CREST's website.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
- CREST Awards
British Science Association
Wellcome Wolfson Building
165 Queen's Gate
Tel: 020 7019 4943