Casual interpreters (Czech, Slovak, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, Hungarian) can be booked through the Education Access team free of charge for interpreting and translation in relation to initial access to education. As they are casual, bookings depend on
their availability. If they aren’t available or the booking does not meet the remit of initial access to education, bookings can be sought through the council’s suppliers; Enable2 and Supreme Linguistics.
Casual interpreters should only be used for the purpose of initial access to education, this might include:
- Supporting families who have no English to take up their allocated school place through phone calls and translated letters
- Translation of SEN documents in other languages for schools to support with enabling the child to access appropriate provision
- Addressing barriers and concerns that are preventing that initial take-up of education (first half-term)
The casual interpreters should not be:
- Supporting schools to conduct welfare or attendance checks on children who have been on their roll longer than a half-term
- Supporting schools to relay messages in relation to health matters or medical needs
- Translating content that is not in relation to children starting and attending school
For booking and enquiries, please contact us via email at Education.Access@bradford.gov.uk or by calling 01274 439393.