The Council are commencing a two week pre-consultation phase which will run from 28th September to 9th October 2020 on proposals to increase and expand the number of specialist places available to Children and Young people across the district.
Why are we making changes?
The Local Authority has a statutory duty to keep under review the provision it makes for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) whilst also ensuring there are sufficient specialist places available to meet the needs
of the growing SEND population.
The Bradford District has experienced a year on year increase of children and young people requiring an Educational, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). As at 20th August 2020 the Local Authority is maintaining 4489 Educational, Health and Care Plans.
There are also 13,281 children and young people who receive SEN Support.
Evidence shows there continues to be an increased demand for specialist places across all sectors.
We are now seeking the views of all stakeholders and interested parties on the development of further additional specialist places to be delivered across the Bradford District.
What are we Pre- Consulting on?
This pre-consultation phase is to share and gather information on the development of further specialist provision places to enhance the current specialist provision offer across the District.
The Local Authority is proposing to expand the following Resourced Provision from 1st April 2021 by:
- Expanding of Long Lee Primary schools Resourced Provision from 10 to 16 places for Primary aged children with Social Emotional and Mental Health needs (SEMH)
The Local Authority is proposing to develop a Resourced Provision at Sandal Primary School from 1st April 2021 by:
- Developing a new resourced provision within the school for up to 12 children primary aged children with Social Emotional and Mental Health needs
Why are we consulting with you?
Whenever the Local Authority proposes to increase places or make changes to specialist provision, all interested parties who are likely to be affected by the proposals must be consulted in the development of the proposals.
It is important that the proposals are the subject of broad consultation with all interested parties to ensure that your views are considered and that you are fully informed and involved before a final recommendation to the Council Executive Committee is
The responses to this Pre-Consultation phase for maintained schools must be fully analysed and considered before the Council decides to proceed with a full consultation and issue Statutory Notices.
- Please refer to the below supporting documents:
- Maps showing Current Provision and Proposed Developments
- Pre-Consultation Questionnaire
- Pre-Consultation document
Further documentation will be available if the proposals go forward to the publication of statutory notices.
All of the above documents can be found online by visiting:
Bradford Council website or Bradford SEND Local offer
How to respond to the consultation
- Complete the consultation questionnaire on-line, no later than 9thOctober 2020
- If you do not have access to the internet or you would prefer a paper copy of any of the documents, please contact telephone 01274 438260 or e-mail: SENDPlacesConsultation@bradford.gov.uk
- Review the Public Pre-Consultation presentation
- Alternatively please send any written responses to: SENDPlacesConsultation@bradford.gov.uk or by post to Diane Cochrane, SEND Planning and Strategy Lead, Intelligence and Sufficiency
Service, 7th Floor Margaret McMillan Tower, Bradford BD1 1NN
Thank you for taking the time to read this consultation document. Your views are important. Please make your views known to us by completing the Consultation questionnaire or let us have your comments.