The digital Summer Reading Challenge 2020
The Summer Reading Challenge is going digital this year, with the Silly Squad team ready to help children discover and read for fun, happiness and laughter. Children can join the Silly Squad on a new adventure by setting their own personal reading
challenge to complete this summer. The new online platform will help to keep track of your books, reviews and the rewards you unlock along the way.
There will be loads of brilliant book suggestions and tips on how you can keep reading even while schools and libraries are closed. There’ll be heaps of silly activities, quizzes, videos, games and more to keep you entertained at home.
Jacqueline Wilson, author and supporter of the Summer Reading Challenge says: "I feel the Summer Reading Challenge is extra important this year! How sensible to have a Silly theme. We've all had to deal with serious and scary issues, so it's time for
a bit of fun. There are so many comical and crazy children's books to cheer us all up. Let's get reading and get happy!"
Silly Squad officially begins here www.sillysquad.org.uk on Friday 5th June with a fantastic launch.
The full schedule will be announced the week commencing Monday 1st June with the following virtual events already confirmed:
- CBBC's Sam and Mark kick-off the party with their unique brand of 'silly' fun.
- Readings and jokes from authors including David Baddiel, Ben Fogle, Philip Ardagh, Paul O'Grady, Konnie Huq and Samantha Baines.
- Silly Time with the BBC's Katie Thistleton and Hacker T Dog.
- Draw-a-Longs with official Summer Reading Challenge illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson, and Rob Biddulph.
- Magic Tricks and Mind-Bending Maths with Mr Bates from The Shed School.
- Poetry with performance poet and playwright Joseph Coelho.
- Crafts, colour and creativity with the original queen of colouring, Johanna Basford.
- Bedtime Reading session with actor Charlie Condou reading from This is Gus by Chris Chatterton, published by Macmillan Children's Books.
- Unveiling of the official 'Let's Get Silly!' theme song by Harry Baker and Chris Read.
And that’s not all … Bradford Libraries will be offering Silly Squad Summer Reading Challenge packs to children when libraries re-open (hopefully) in July. Check
www.bradford.gov.uk/libraries for updates. The good news is that the Summer Reading Challenge will continue until the end of September and children from 3 to 14 can
join the fun.
Please direct any questions via firstname.lastname@example.org Development Office for Children and Young People: Bradford Libraries