The Local Authority has a statutory duty to keep under review the provision it makes for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) whilst also ensuring there are sufficient specialist places available to meet the needs
of the growing SEND population.
Bradford has experienced a significant increase in demand for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) provision in the last 10 years. It is projected that the demand for SEND provision in Bradford will continue to grow and it has been identified
that additional specialist places across all sectors in the Bradford District are required. This initial consultation is to share and gather information on the development of further specialist provision places to enhance the current specialist provision offer
across the District.
To maximise the opportunities for expansion and creation of new provision we will keep under review any possibilities of expanding and re-configuring existing spaces to maximise the capital allocation.
In 2019/2020 we proposed to increase the amount of specialist places available through a range of services by expanding and developing further specialist provision to enhance the network of Special Schools, Early Years Enhanced Specialist provision (EYESPs),
Resourced Provision places both School and Local authority led in mainstream schools, that are required to meet the current and future needs of children and young people with a range of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
In July 2019 the council; executive approved the development of:
- 34 resourced provision places and
- 40 additional special school places.
In addition to the proposals, 215 additional specialist places were also proposed across the academy sector, requiring approval from the Regional Schools Commissioner. The Regional Schools Commissioner approved these in July 2019. This left a further 65
places to be developed. The below proposals are in addition to this.
We are now seeking the views of all stakeholders and interested parties on the development of further additional specialist places to be delivered within the Bradford District.
The Proposals are as follows:
The Local Authority is proposing to increase the number of Special School places for Secondary aged pupils with Social Emotional and Mental Health needs, with effect from February 2020 by:
- Closing Ellar Carr Pupil Referral Unit and using the site to operate as a split site of Beechcliffe Special School
- Expanding Beechcliffe Special School from 144 places to 224 places. To deliver additional Social Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) provision
The Local Authority is proposing to increase the number of Resourced Provision places by:
- Establishing a LA led Resourced Provision (RP) for 12 primary aged children with Communication and Interaction needs including Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) at Fagley Primary School
The Local Authority is proposing to redistribute Early Years Enhanced Specialist Provision (EYESP) places by:
- Reducing the Early Years Enhanced Specialist Provision from 20 part time places to 10 part time places at Abbey Green Nursery School
- Developing an Early Years Enhanced Specialist Provision at Midland Road Nursery School to deliver 10 part time specialist places
Your views are important to us, please take a few minutes to answer our short questionnaires by following the below links:
· Beechcliffe Special School/Ellar Carr Pupil Referral Unit -https://surveys.bradford.gov.uk/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=157251078892
· Abbey Green and Midland Road Nursery Schools -
· Fagley Primary School -
If you do not have access to the internet or you would prefer a paper copy of this questionnaire or any of the documents, please contact– 01274 438260 or email:
If you would like further information about the proposals please refer to the following documents please visit:
- Pre - Consultation document
- Maps showing Current and Proposed Provision
- Consultation Questionnaire
We are also holding a number of public consultation meetings. Please see details of the scheduled events below:
- Monday 11th November 2019 1.00pm-2.00pm Keighley Library Annexe – Spencer Street, Keighley, BD21 2BN
- Thursday 14th November 1.45-2.45pm at Bradford City Hall– Centenary Square, Bradford BD1 1HY
The pre-consultation closes on Monday, 18th November 2019.
All responses must be received by this date.