Are you interested in promoting research engagement and evidence awareness in your school and beyond? Do you have a language-related specialism or interest (for instance literacy, grammar, or the support of EAL pupils)?
We are looking for representatives of the teaching profession to join the Action Project Committee for Speech and Language, which is part of the newly created Centre for Applied Education
CAER is a partnership between the Bradford Institute of Health Research, the Universities of Bradford and Leeds, the Department for Education, Bradford Local Authority, the Bradford Research School and the Educational Endowment Foundation. Speech and Language
is one of 12 action projects, alongside the Born in Bradford project.
The purpose of the Speech & Language Action Project is to improve children's life chances through effective language support and interventions. In practice, we aim to:
- Help schools access and produce evidence of effective practice (through research engagement and evidence awareness)
- Build a partnership between language researchers and language practitioners to
- inform the translation of research findings into practice
- co-develop language-focused training to enrich Initial Teacher Training and Continuous Professional Development
- co-develop a research agenda, focusing on areas of need
- Gather evidence on the factors that influence language development in monolingual and multilingual children
The Speech & Language action project will also oversee the assessment of core language skills in the Born in Bradford cohort.
The focus of our work will be on applied research (across sectors) and on promoting change. We plan to meet twice a term.
We are looking for 5 representatives in total, spanning Early Years, primary education (one for KS1 and one for KS2), special or alternative education, and secondary education.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send us a brief statement outlining your interest and experience, alongside a supporting email from your head teacher. Expressions of interest need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by
the 15th of October. Notifications will be sent by the 21st of October.