A number of emails have been received in schools across the country this week claiming an IED will detonate in educational establishments unless a sum of money is paid. The following advice has been issued by West Yorkshire Police in response.
Any school in receipt of such letters should:
· Ring 101 quoting log 480 of 19/03/2018 – all reports still need to be individually assessed
· If a physical letter ask staff not to handle the letter having opened it and preserve the envelope
· If an email please do not delete the email or move it to a folder
· Report to police who will attend to seize the item forensically
· The report will then be investigated