The first issue was sent out to all parents and carers in the Bradford District two years ago and we have been fortunate enough to secure funding form the Local Authority to do this again - at no cost to your school.
The comic is intended for parents and carers but is written in a format so that they can read and enjoy it with their children. We hope that it supports schools in helping parents understand how critical talk is in the home and what a difference talk makes
to a child's achievement.
Schools have been sent enough copies of the comic for each child to take one home, but if there are any problems please do let us know via email.
You may simply want to send the comic out to all families immediately, but we thought it might be useful to offer a few suggestions about how you could maximise its impact:
- Organise a Talk Workshop for parents and carers in each year group. This could be staggered over the year and could include lots of ideas and strategies for helping children to talk at home.
- Introduce Talking Families into your school - giving out leaflets as part of this programme. If you would like to know more contact Clare Reed -
- Create a display board for parents using some of the leaflets and include more ideas for talk activities at home.
- Give out additional Talking Children comics at Parents' Consultation/Transition meetings and any other events throughout the year.
- Give out additional copies to all new to Nursery and Reception children's parents.
- Disseminate to any relevant visiting staff eg Health Visitors, Speech and Language Therapists
If you would like to order additional copies of either comic, please contact: Nick Milton, Design and Print Services, Bradford Council on 01274 432302 or via email at
Language for Learning Steering Group