The new edition of the School Governor Service Training Programme enables governors to clearly plan their training and to identify those dates, times and venues that will be the most convenient for them. It also gives governors the opportunity
to attend some sessions during the day or as twilights to assist those who are unable to attend evening sessions.
The purpose of this programme is support governors in the effective strategic management of all schools and academies, to enable the best possible educational outcomes for children across the district and improve further education and job prospects for them.
Governors need to be able to:-
- fulfill their strategic planning role in the school
- understand and effectively undertake their accountability role
- act as a critical friend to the management of the school
- develop appropriate skills and knowledge to effectively monitor school improvement
- work with school managers, staff, parents, the local community and, where appropriate, the diocesan authorities, Academy Trust Boards and other partnerships.
The programme offers a wide range of opportunities intended to broaden governors’ knowledge, develop their skills and update them on specific responsibilities. Governor feedback and developments in education continue to inform the sessions provided. Governors
in Bradford contribute to the programme and support our promise to deliver a high quality service provided by experienced professionals to meet the needs of individual governors and governing boards.
Bespoke courses for Governing Boards or Groups of Schools/Academies
- Learning Together – A tailor-made course delivered at a time, date and venue to suit you, for a group of schools or individual governing board. For example: if your governing board is planning an away day you may think external
facilitation of part or all the event would be helpful.
- Leading Together - Designed to strengthen the capacity of the leadership and management partnership to work together for the benefit of pupils, this course involves three facilitated sessions for a working party of senior
leaders and governors. Plans to improve teamwork are identified by the working party using a school improvement priority as a vehicle for improvement.
The programme takes place over a period of nine to twelve months, giving time for improvements to take place and for the actions taken to have an impact on the school’s development.
- Mini Course - One hour on the agenda of your governing board meeting; these courses are intended to address individual governance areas which have been identified as requiring improvement.
Following the link below to access the Autumn Term 2017 and spring Term 2018 programme of training. For more information please contact the School Governor Service on 01274 439400 or e-mail
Headteacher Performance Management
Thursday 7 December 2017 - 6.00pm-8.00pm
Where: Margaret McMillan Tower, Princes Way, Bradford BD1 1NN
One of the main roles of a governing board is to hold the headteacher to account for the effective management of the school. One
way in which this is done is via performance management.
This course aims to:
- Explain the principles of the headteacher’s performance management, how this sits with the monitoring and evaluation
cycle of the school and the other responsibilities of governors for the performance management process.
the increased level of responsibility for performance management of the Headteacher.
the skills of governors in setting objectives linked to school improvement priorities and upon which other staff targets can be based
governors to participate effectively in the performance management review meeting.
the evidence that governors will require to enable them to thoroughly evaluate current performance and set new targets, including seeking effective external support.
Chairs and Heads Working Together
Wednesday 24 January 2018 – 9.15am – 2.30pm
Where: Margaret McMillan Tower, Princes Way, Bradford BD1 1NN
Leadership and management is a major focus in an Ofsted inspection and the Chair and Head need to promote the effectiveness
of the governing body in ensuring that this is also the focus of its work. This course gives Chairs and Heads the opportunity to work together away from school:-
- To explore what chairs and headteachers should expect of each other in the effort to raise standards
establish how they can support each other in their respective leadership roles
consider the various pressures that can influence decision-making
identify the developments needed to make them an effective partnership
plan how to build a strong team
combines presentation and discussion with other Chairs and Heads with quality ‘talking and planning’ time for each chair/head partnership.
Introduction to Governance – additional date
Friday 23 February 2018 - 9.15am -3.30pm
Margaret McMillan Tower,
Princes Way, Bradford BD1 1NN
aims to give you, as a newly appointed governor/trustee (including headteachers, staff governors and associate members), a level of knowledge of governance that you need to effectively support your school in raising standards.
- An overview of school governance, your role as a governor, the responsibilities and expectations placed
on you, and the way in which you should work with the headteacher and school leadership team
and understanding of governors’ responsibilities
briefing on national and local educational issues and their impact on governing boards
to assist you in using your new skills and knowledge for the benefit of pupils.
opportunity to meet and exchange views with other recently appointed governors, with discussion and group work in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
book by contacting email@example.com
E-learning Opportunities with Modern Governor
Governing boards have expressed a keen interest in e-learning opportunities. In response, we have negotiated a very competitive agreement with Modern Governor, the market leader in the field. Governing boards that purchase any package which includes the
training programme can access the Modern Governor e-learning modules for an additional annual fee of £135 for 2017/2018 that allows access to all e-learning modules for all members of the governing board.
What is Modern Governor?
The modules cover a wide range of topics in an interesting and interactive way in approximately twenty minute 'chunks' that governors can follow at their convenience. Each module can be revisited at any time as a refresher or point of reference.
E-learning Module Content
There are currently 24 e-learning modules in the Modern Governor catalogue. Further details can be found at
Want to see a module for free?
Use the link below to access the ‘Becoming a School Governor’ module:
How to subscribe
Contact School Governor Service on 01274 439400 or e-mail