Children Not in Receipt of Full Time Education
In November 2013 Ofsted published a report regarding children not in receipt of full time education. Following visits to 15 Local Authorities Ofsted noted that ‘too many children and young people were not receiving full time education’.
Ofsted were also concerned that children who only received part time education or who have none at all can become invisible which is a safeguarding issue as well as an education issue.
The full report can be found
At the present time Bradford Children’s Services have robust systems in place which identify children for whom they are directly responsible who are not in receipt of full time education. These include:
- Children receiving Home Tuition
- Children in hospital schools
- Pregnant or new school age mothers
- Excluded pupils
- Pupils who are in custody
- Children Missing from Education
- Children not on the roll of a school
- Children missing (with their families) from Bradford schools
- Children who have lost their places in schools having failed to return from leave of absence
Ofsted also recommend that LA’s should establish a central record of all children not accessing full time education in the usual way, including those who are accessing alternative provision full time away from mainstream school, regardless of where they
are on roll. They also recommend that all schools should inform the local authority of all pupils who have part time education arrangements or are accessing full time education away from mainstream school.
This would include:
- Pupils on the roll of a school who attend off site provision full time
- Pupils on the roll of a school on reduced timetables as part of behaviour plans
- Pupils on the roll of a school accessing part time alternative provision
Ofsted recommends that Schools, including Academies and Free Schools, should inform the LA of any part-time or alternative education arrangements regardless of school type.
In order to implement the recommendations, we are now asking schools to complete the attached notification form.
It is vital that, as a Local Authority with a statutory responsibility for Children Missing from Education that we gather this information with a 100% return. It is our intention to gather this information every term.
We expect to receive a complete list, from schools, of all students currently not in receipt of a full time school site based education by 30 September 2018. The second return will be due by 31 January 2019. We would also request that schools
who have no pupils who meet the criteria to submit a ‘nil return’.
The data collection applies to All Schools, Primary, Secondary, Academies and Free Schools.
The notification form can be downloaded
Page owned by Waheeda Shah, last updated on 06/02/2019. This page has been viewed 4,923 times.